Whey Protein Benefits
Proteins and amino acids are basic building blocks for muscle growth. Sufficient proteins and amino acids can help in building, repairing and recovering muscles. Proteins are usually sourced from meat, tuna, turkey, cottage cheese etc… There are many proteins that contain amino acids and Branched chain amino acids. Among many the most studied with tremendous benefits is Whey Protein. It is considered as the highest quality natural protein with all 9 essential amino acids and Branched chain amino acids (BCAA’s). It is easily digestible, absorbable protein and most suitable protein for Sports people, Body builders, Athletes, for people looking to build muscle and to have healthy lifestyle.
Whey and casein are two major proteins found in milk, it is a byproduct in the production of cheese and casein. Whey protein contains essential amino acids, BCAA’s, small protein peptides with unique biological functions, carbohydrates, fats, cholesterol, lactose and minerals. Back then it was considered as waste product, fortunately with the development of new methods it has become the most popular proteins with high biological value.
Some of the benefits of Whey protein are:
- They help in building muscles when taken in proper proportions right before, after or during workouts.
- Boosts immune system, reduces blood pressure and increases serotonin levels in brain.
- Helps to repair and recover muscle from training.
- Builds contractile elements in muscle tissues.
- Helps to boost metabolism, overall strength and endurance.
- Small peptides in whey protein have proven to show huge benefits on tendons, bones and organs.
- Glycomacropeptides (GMP) in whey protein stimulate cholecystokinin (CCK), which shown to play main role in food intake. In animal studies CCK have shown to perceive the full feeling for longer period after a meal.
- Growth factors in whey protein have shown to build lean muscle mass in adults.
- Whey protein is a great source of protein for dieting or weight loss.
There are 3 different kinds of whey proteins in market: concentrate, isolate and hydrolyzed. Each kind of protein undergoes different production processing. More complicated the process, more expensive the whey powder.
Whey protein Concentrate (WPC): it is the purest form of whey protein. It varies in potency from 80-89% protein and relatively contains 20-29% of fats, carbohydrates, cholesterol and lactose. It is processed form of protein and contains more bioactive compounds. It has shown to have protective effects on overall health.
Whey protein Isolate (WPI): It contains high protein (90%) and low in fat, carbohydrates and lactose (10% of all) compared to whey protein concentrate and certainly used by weight trainers and athletes to build lean muscle mass. It is bit pricier than WPC.
Whey protein Hydrolysate (WPH): it is the purest, more expensive and predigested form of protein in market currently. It undergoes hydrolysis process breaking down into smaller segments hence is easily digestible and absorbable quickly.
Whey protein contains huge nutritional components and is a great way to increase your protein intake. Whey itself does not taste good, in market whey protein comes in different flavors like vanilla and chocolate flavored. It is very important to read ingredients list as few companies add unhealthy additives like refined sugar, steroids and banned substances. Taking 25-30g of protein per day will serve our purpose. Whey protein is tolerable to all, although people with lactose intolerance should be careful before choosing it.